Friday, February 27, 2009

Bookman, Joe Bookman.

This post is addressed to those members of my [Greg's] immediate family, primarily those that have used my library card in the past, and specifically those that have also read William Golding's work, Lord of the Flies. If you fit the aforementioned criteria, you owe me $10.

Let me just start by saying I narrowly escaped Lt. Bookman, library cop today. Apparently when I was in the fifth grade I checked out Lord of the Flies and have had a late charge of $10 for the last fifteen years (just in case you are wondering, the running cost of a paperback copy of Lord of the Flies is $9.95). Now for those of you that are thinking "But Greg, you have never read Lord of the Flies!” I know, I know. But good luck convincing Bookman of that.

I tried to tell them that I have never read that book, and she gives me that "Yeah, right" look, like I make a pastime out of checking out overrated British novels from local libraries and holding them well beyond their due date as some sort of civil disobedience. I would have just ran for the door, but I think the lady returning The Encyclopedia of Dogs would have taken me out. So I was forced into paying the fee.

To make matters worse, this is not the first time this has happened, flash back to third grade when they would not let me check out James and the Giant Peach because I had a late charge on Feminism, needless to say I didn't learn about the plight of the modern woman until High School. But I was required to pay the fine of $.75 before I could check out my book. Now, I am not pointing fingers at anyone in my family (Anna) for that incident, I have moved on. But this recent incident re-opened some past wounds.

I am not necessarily ticked about the $10, rather I am fearful that we are going to be Black Listed at all libraries across the Wasatch front, and being as our family was just removed from Good Time Video's black list, thanks to Doug’s flippant disregard for their ‘Be kind, rewind’ policy, I don’t think that is something we want to mess with again.

In closing, I would like to inform you that I have created a fake library account under the name Enrico Paloma, please use that for any future extended book checkouts. Thanks!

6 comments:

Merilee said...

Seriously, I don't dare "check" anything out for fear of my maiden name coming up, and them asking if I am realated to "Doug Olsen". If so I would have to lie and say no! I am sorry about the library incident, but can honestly say that I didn't spend much time in the library...much to my grades dismay, and I know for sure that I wouldn't have checked out either of those books, it would have had to have something with Ricky Schroeder in it for me to check it out :)

Sara said...

As a fellow Seinfeld enthusiast, I will have to say that this is the funniest post I have ever read in my life.

Annalee said...

I'll give you Feminism. I owe you .75 cents dude, get over it! Just think, women have been oppressed for hundreds of years, I was only trying to give you a sample.

On my honor, I have never read "Lord of the Flies" either. I swear.

You didn't, by chance, take the book into the bathroom, did you?!

Lisa said...

Hilarious post!

Emily said...

We had to join netflix under Ross' name, I'm not even on the account. Still afraid of the "Goodtime" incident. Everytime I see a vhs tape, I get the chills. Thanks a lot Dug.

o-town said...

Okay Greg, you got me. I was hoping that this had long been forgotten, but it was I who checked out Lord of the Flies. I only did it as a cover for all of my 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books. I hope you accept my heart felt apology. god speed.