Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Green is pretty on the walls, not on the carpet.

This post is to explain the FYI in Greg's home improvement corner. Last week I found a nice desk on sale at Pier 1. Greg and I had been talking about changing up his office and I figured since the desk was on sale, why not? So I bought it and planned to pick it up on Saturday.

Friday night rolls around and we decide that before we move the desk into the spare room we are going to paint it. So at 9 pm we make a trip to home depot to get some green paint. Once we get home we realize we don't have any tray liners... off again to walmart. After our two trips we finally get home and get to work, its about 10:30 which is sadly past my bed time. After all of the edges are done and first coat has been started Greg accidentally trips over the gallon of paint! And of course it doesn't spill onto the drop cloth we have laid down, it spills into the middle of the room onto our carpet! We were in such shock that we just watched it fall on our 5 month old carpet for a few seconds. Then after saying a few choice words panic set in and we had to think of some way to clean it up. For half a second I even considered just dumping the paint all over the carpet and turning it all green! Luckily I didn't act on that thought and we grabbed every old towel in our house and tried to clean it up. This wasn't working, but we kept doing it. Soon we had all the towels used up and thrown into the bathtub, which was now splattered with green paint, as well as the toilet, floor, and sink. So as Greg is trying to scrub water and the small can of resolve on this huge bright green spot I am scrubbing the bathroom before green paint is stuck all over our 5 month old tub, toilet, floor, and sink. Once the bathroom was clean, he would come dump another towel or bowl of green water into the tub. I think I washed the bathroom ten times that night! Finally we decided to run to Albertsons and see if we could rent a carpet cleaner. Luckily I got there 5 minutes before closing and was able to grab one.

So now its 12:30 am and we are cleaning our carpets with the loudest device possible (another apology to our neighbors trying to sleep!). I was so surprised that it actually took out all that green paint, which, was dumped into the bathtub and so my scrubbing continued...

The madness finally ended about 1:30 when we decided that the small light green ring was not going to come out. But hey, I'll take a small light green ring over a ginormous bright green spot any day! Luckily we have alot of left over carpet that they gave us when we moved in so eventually we can just cut out that spot and replace it.

So after a very exhausting weekend we have a really nice painted room, a new desk, and one of the cleanest tubs I have ever seen!

If you are wondering what color of green, its similar to the solid green color on the edges of our blog page, kind of a grass green. I will post some pics as soon as we finish the room.

Just in case you were wondering, I would recommend the rug doctor to anyone :)

1 comment:

o-town said...

wow. just get a cute rug to match your new desk and new green walls...

and invest is a room-size drop cloth!!