Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Bahston

I know, I know, it has taken me almost a month to write about our trip! And I have so many pictures that I decided to break it into two blog posts. Perhaps I haven't written because I am in denial, I never wanted the trip to end. Or maybe I haven't written because life has been insanely busy since we got back. Or, it may just be that I am lazy. I think its a combination of all three.
Anywho, we arrived in Boston on Wednesday night and we only had time to go into town for dinner. Our hotel wasn't in downtown Boston, but it wasn't that far away, two subway stops from Faneuil Hall. Luckily, they had a free shuttle service to the subway so we could come and go as we please.

Our first full day there we went on the Freedom Trail tour. It was awesome to see so many historic sights.
The tour started in the Boston Commons which was beautiful. From there we saw the State House, Granary Cemetary, the first public school, King's Chapel, Old South Meeting House, Boston Massacre Site, Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market, Paul Revere's house, the Old North Church, the USS Constitution, and Bunker Hill. It was freezing that day so it was nice to be moving around!
Robert Gould Shaw, ancestor?
South Meeting House

I fell in love with these streets.
The USS Constitution. This is the oldest commissioned ship. This was probably one of mine and Greg's favorite things that we toured. Plus, it was nice to get out of the cold!
Ahh, Boston.

These old homes and buildings were so beautiful, if only I could afford to live in one! School teachers make alot of money, right???
The Bunker Hill Monument. I had rubber legs after climbing to the top of this!
That night we went back to Feneuil Hall and Quincy Market to do some shopping.
Day two we went to John Adam's homes. We first saw the farm house that he lived in and then we went to Peacefield where he and Abigail retired after they came back from France. Presidents John and John Quincy Adams lived here as well as John Quincy's son Charles. It was really cool to see Peacefield because it still had the Adam's furniture, paintings, dishes, etc.. Since it has been kept in the family they made sure everything stayed there. There was also a killer library from John Quincy. I wish I could have taken pictures inside the house, it was amazing!

Later that afternoon we went to Fenway Park. It was no Wrigley, but it was still fun. We took the tour and saw all the different additions to the park, the press box, and sat on the green monster.

View from the press box.
Later that night we went back to Granary cemetary. I loved looking at all the old headstones. They were worn and falling over, but I loved the character. Paul Revere, Samuel Adams, James Otis, John Hancock, and Ben Franklin's parents were buried here.
I could have spent hours looking at all of the headstones. Yes, I am wearing two coats, it was so cold!
We loved Boston! We ate plenty of clam chowdah, ohhhh I want some now! We also drank alot of carmel apple spice from Starbucks. Those two things kept us warm in the freezing cold weather! The third day we were there we only had the morning to site-see before we needed to get on our cruise ship. Instead of going back into town, we slept all morning, and it was glorious!
That is all for now, more to come in my next post!

5 comments:

Annalee said...

I have been waiting FOREVER to see these pictures and to hear about your trip!!

I love Boston!! It looks like you guys hit all the best parts...especially Fenway! ;)

Krystal Rose Webb said...

This is awesome! I love your pictures! We still need to catch up and I need to get all of the details. You guys have the HBO series John Adams right? If you don't you have to watch it, it's incredible!

Jana Porter said...

yay for blog stalking! i found you! your trip looked so fun i'm jealous!

Annalee said...

...Still waiting for the rest of the update hosers!!

Susan said...

Your pictures made me homesick, but what a fun trip. And yes, school teachers make great money nut you have to leave Utah. NE is a great place for teaching :)